Er. Ma. Gherd. We’re thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to fall. So close. Can we say it’s fall yet? I’mma just say it’s fall already, m’kay.
I mean, I actually had to put on a jacket this morning and there were little bits of frost on the cars parked along the street so we might as well call it fall already. We’ll just disregard that whole part of the forecast where the temperatures get back up into the 90s towards the end of the week…
And we all know what fall means! PUMPKIN SPICE!
Too soon guys, TOO SOON.
We’re stepping into fall, not throwing ourselves off the fall cliff into the fall vortex… Yet. Yet…
But in the meantime, we’re going to keep it summery today with some ice cream and while throwing in a punch of fall goodness with sweet potato and toasted marshmallows. Also, sweet potatoes are a vegetable, ergo this must be healthy. <– Totally sound, irrefutable logic.
Despite what my blog might lead you to believe, I’ve been trying to be healthy (just ask my co-workers. I bring most of my goodies to meetings. Did I mention I work for an organization that promotes health and healthy habits? I know, the irony is not lost on me). Then, this morning, I read that granola often has enough sugar to rival a slice of chocolate cake and I was just like “Pfft, f*ck that. Pass me the ice cream. If I’m going to be unhealthy, I’m going to do it… knowingly… and enjoy it!”
I know. Most responsible adult ever.
So I added vegetables.
But seriously guys, sweet potato may just be my new favorite flavor. Even more so, dare I say, than pumpkin spice. TEAM SWEET POTATO all the way!Print
Sweet Potato Ice Cream
This no-churn sweet potato ice cream has a swirled sweet potato and vanilla ice cream base peppered with toasted marshmallows. Move over pumpkin. Hello sweet potato!
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours
- Yield: 3 pints 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk, cold
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (15oz) can sweet potato puree
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup toasted mini marshmallows
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream until it holds stiff peaks. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract, and continue beating until mixture returns to holding stiff peaks.
- Pour half of the ice cream base into a large bowl. Gently fold in the sweet potato puree, cinnamon, and ginger until completely combined.
- Pour the ice cream into a parchment paper lined loaf pan, alternating between the vanilla and sweet potato ice cream, sprinkling in toasted marshmallow as you go (you can toast the marshmallows with a chef’s torch or using the broiler in your oven).
- Allow to set over night.
Adapted from Bigger Bolder Baking
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 20.3g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4g
- Fiber: .7g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 39mg