Is it hot in your corner of the world? Because HOLY INFERNO, it’s hot here. And it’s not just any ol’ kind of heat. We’ve got that moist heat, the kind that makes you feel damp, frizzy and like you’re sweating in places where it just shouldn’t be humanly possible to sweat.
YUCK. With a capital Y-U-C-K!
As I’m writing this it’s 10:24pm and still 89F outside. Pitch black… and almost 90F. Go home night, you’re drunk.
And the cherry on top of this delightfully hot and sticky situation? We don’t actually have air conditioning. I know, womp, womp, woooooooooooomp. I know they make those portable kinds you can hook into the window, but those things are expensive! And then you plug them in, turn them on and they get REALLY expensive.
Clearly, there is only one solution: stand in front of an open freezer eating ice cream directly from the carton. Optional: slathering it on your body.
And if I’m going to be spending all of my time in front of an open freezer, I might as well expand my ice cream options which is exactly why I whipped up this black forest brownie ice cream. It’s everything you love about black forest cakes with a chewy brownie twist. Also, you know, it’s ice cream so it’s got that going for it.
Sweet cherries? Check.
Chunky chocolate? Check.
Smooth chocolate and vanilla swirled ice cream? Check.
GIANT chunks of brownie? Check and CHECK.
Get the deets for this sweet bad boy below!
Black Forest Brownie Ice Cream
If you like black forest cake, you’re going to LOVE this ice cream! It has a vanilla ice cream base swirled with a fresh cherry compote, rich chocolate chunks and delicious brownie bites.
- Prep Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 pints
- 1 4″x4″ sheet of brownies
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Buy or bake approximately 4″x4″ of brownies. Cut the into chunks.
- Halve and pit your cherries. In a small saucepan, combine the cherries and granulated sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture reduces by about half (approx. 10 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract, and beat until just combined (the mixture should be light and fluffy at this point).
- Gently fold the bits of brownie into the ice cream base. Add the chocolate syrup and fold a couple of times until the ice cream has a nice swirl.
- Pour half of the mixture into a loaf pan. Spoon half of the cherries over the top. Add the remaining ice cream and top with the remaining cherries. Add the chunks of semi-sweet chocolate.
- Put the ice cream in the freezer and allow to set until hardened (about 8 hours). Scoop and serve immediately.
- For the brownies, I like to get one of the smaller mixes (like the ones meant for an 8″x8″ pan) and make it myself. Bonus: leftover brownies.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 615
- Sugar: 87g
- Sodium: .3g
- Fat: 16.8g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7g
- Carbohydrates: 108.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 43mg