What’s rich, chocolaty and toasted all over? These s’more brownies, that’s what!
These may very well be THE BEST brownies I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a lot of brownies… More than I care to admit, that’s for sure… Need convincing? How about:
- Oooooodles of billowy, toasted meringue. Like a whole inch of it.
- That homemade, slightly-nutty flavored graham cracker crust, though.
- Dark chocolate brownies so dark, they’re black. LITERALLY. BLACK. Just like my soul…
I could (and did) clean out every drop of brownie batter from the bowl with a spatula. It was Straight. Up. Finger-licking. GOOD. Let’s just say these brownies are NOT messing around.
Who needs a campfire when you have these?Print
These s’more brownies have everything you love about s’more in a convenient brownie form! We’re talking a billowy, toasted marshmallow topping, a rich brownie base and an earthy graham cracker crust base.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
For the crust:
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 oz salted butter, at room temp.
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
For the brownies:
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
For the marshmallow topping:
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter for the graham cracker crust until smooth. Add the brown sugar and honey, and continue beating until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients for the crust and beat until it pulls away from the sides and clumps into a single ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 days (depending on how far in advance you make it).
- On a lightly floured surface, work the dough for the crust with your hands until malleable. Roll the dough out on a piece of plastic wrap until it’s slightly larger than your 8″x8″ pan. Gently flip the dough into the pan (a second person would be helpful here) and press it into the bottom and sides. Trim away any excess.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter for the brownies. Microwave for 30 seconds, whisk and repeat a total of three times. Although the sugar won’t have dissolved the whole mixture should be glossy and smooth. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before proceeding. Add your eggs one at a time, whisking between each new addition. Once all the eggs have been added, whisk until the mixture lightens. Whisk in the baking cocoa, salt and vanilla extract until just combined. Fold in the whole wheat flour. Pour the brownie batter over your graham cracker crust and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the meringue topping, whisk together your egg whites and granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer placed over a pot of boiling water (a double boiler). Whisking occasionally, heat the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch. Move the bowl to your stand mixer, add the vanilla, and whisk on high (using the whisk attachment) until billowy, and the meringue holds a stiff peak.
- Once the brownies have cooled completely, remove the brownies from the pan and cover completely with the meringue mixture. Use a culinary torch to toast the top.
Graham cracker crust recipe based on Miette (2011), pg. 150
Brownie recipe based on Broma Bakery
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 525
- Sugar: 46.9g
- Sodium: 419mg
- Fat: 28.9g
- Saturated Fat: 17.6g
- Carbohydrates: 66.4g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 130mg