The kransekake is an elegant Scandinavian cake that’s every bit as beautiful as it is easy to make. Learn how to make this delicious almond cake with just a few ingredients for your next big event.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 18 rings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Norwegian
For the kransekake dough:
- 1 lb almond flour
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites
For the icing:
- 1 tbsp. meringue powder
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/4 lb powdered sugar
- Grease your kransekake rings.
- Stir together the almond flour and powdered sugar. Add the egg whites and beat until dough clumps together.
- Roll the dough into strips that are roughly the same thickness as your finger.
- Gently press the dough into the ring, trimming the ends so that they just overlap. Gently press together to seal.
- Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes, or until just golden.
- In a bowl, whip the meringue powder and water until frothy. Add the powdered sugar and whip until you reach a piping consistency.
- Pipe the icing onto the rings and stack.
- Garnish with fresh flowers, cookies or candies.
- Purchase a kransekake mold: To ensure your kransekake don’t spread while baking, you’ll want to use a kransekake mold. This is the kransekake mold I use (affiliate link).
- Making a half batch: If you don’t want to make a full size cake, you can halve the recipe, but be sure you’re filling the right rings in your cake form.
- Freezing kransekake: Unfrosted kransekake keeps well in the freezer. Simply places the rings in an airtight plastic bag. Thaw at room temperature until no longer frozen.
- Eating your kransekake: Kransekake is eaten most easily by pulling off rings and eating them with your hands like a cookie.
- Serving Size: 1 ring
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 30.9g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 35.4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: kransekake, how to make a kransekake, kransekake oppskrift