How to make a heart shaped cake:
- Level, fill and stack your chilled cake layers with a buttercream frosting of your choice.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Using a serrated knife, mark the top of the cake with two lines to divide it into four even parts.
- Cut from the end of the line on the right side of the cake to the end of the line at the bottom.
- Repeat on the other side to create a point.
- Take the two pieces that were just cut off and press them flat against the top of the cake, molding to fit the curve.
- Apply frosting to the ends of the new pieces to seal them against the cake.
- Apply a thin layer of frosting to the exposed sides on the bottom.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill until the frosting forms a crust (about 10 minutes).
How to create this vintage frosting design:
- Using the Ateco 844, pipe a shell border around the top and bottom edge of the sides of the cake.
- With that same tip, pipe a spiral border around the top edge of the cake.
- Using the Wilton 5, pipe the garlands along the side of the cake.
- To make them symmetrical, measure each side of your cake and divide that into equal parts.
- Once you have those measurements, mark the top of each section using a toothpick.
- Starting at one of the dots, pipe the garlands, letting the the frosting hang and droop into place before attaching it to the next dot.
- Use the Wilton 27 to pipe a shell border along the bottom of the cake, inside the shell border on top of the cake and to create small embellishments along the sides.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and sprinkles.