Happy fantastic Friday my fellow baking badasses!
Virtual fist bumps and cupcakes all around for making it through the week! No, literally… Because this is a cupcake recipe and I may or may not have fist bumped my computer screen as I wrote this (can’t leave ya hanging, can I?).
And speaking of cupcakes, these cupcakes came from one of “those” moments. You know, that kind of foodie/blogger moment where the stars align and you get a recipe every bit as fun to make as it is decadent. And woah nelly, is it decadent!
Also, this recipe involves bourbon and fire, so it’s got that going for it. <– Written like a responsible sounding adult.
Side note: I’m pretty sure this whole “adulting” thing was not what I signed up for. If I’mma have to pay bill, eat responsibly, exercise, get up at a reasonable hour, pick out health insurance providers, save for retirement, exercise will power, and budget, I should at least get to play with fire and bourbon every once in a while. I mean seriously guys, SERIOUSLY.
Buuuuuuuut, back to the cupcakes at hand. The perks to adulting cupcakes. The I’mma-add-fire-and-bourbon-to-my-chocolate-hazelnut-cupcake-goodness-and-cry-as-I-watch-my-bills-suck-the-money-out-of-my-bank-account-cupcakes… I mean… responsible adulty words and things…
Also, I’m pretty sure that many hyphens in one sentence should be illegal…
Like these cupcakes! Moist chocolaty hazelnut cupcakes with mile-high toasted bourbon meringue frosting and crunchy hazelnut pieces.Print
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Bourbon Frosting
These rich chocolate hazelnut cupcakes are topped with a toasted bourbon meringue frosting.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
For the hazelnut cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. hazelnut extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
For the bourbon meringue frosting:
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. bourbon
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the semi-sweet chocolate and boiling water. Stir until the chocolate has melted. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the egg and vegetable oil until light and fluffy. Add the granulated sugar, water/chocolate, hazelnut extract, and milk, and beat until just combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until the batter is lump free. Pour it into your lined cupcake pan(s) and bake at 350F/175C for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sugar and egg whites for the frosting. Place over a pot of boiling water and heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is hot and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the boiling water, return it to the stand mixer, and whip until stiff peaks form and the frosting has cooled to room temperature. Add the bourbon and whip until just combined.
- Spoon the frosting into a large piping bag and affix with a tip of your choice (I used an Ateco 829). Pipe the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes, dip the sides in your coarsely chopped hazelnuts, and toast the edges with a chef’s torch. Be careful as the hazelnuts are very flammable. Due to the frosting, these cupcakes are best served the same day.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Miette (2011), pg. 55
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 43.7g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 53.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 14mg