Candy Corn Swirl Cookies
These 5-ingredient, candy corn inspired sugar cookies are decked out in true Halloween style! And best of all: they’re every bit as tasty as they are easy to make!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 9 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Food coloring in yellow and orange
- Cream the butter in the bowl of a kitchen mixer. Add the granulated sugar and beat until combined.
- Scrape the sides. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and again mix until combined.
- Add the all-purpose flour 1 cup at a time, beating between each new addition.
- The dough should be pliable but not sticky once you’ve added all the flour. If the dough is still sticky, add more flour (about 1/4 cup at a time) until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Separate the dough into 3 equal parts and tint one yellow, one orange and leave the other plain.
- Flatten the dough into discs, wrap and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the dough is firm, roll each color out into a 1/2″ thick rectangle.
- Stack the dough one on top of the other with yellow on the bottom, orange in the middle and the plain dough on top.
- Starting on the long side of the rectangle, roll the dough into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 40 minutes.
- Once the dough is firm, cut the cookies into ½” thick discs and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 8-9 minutes, or until no longer shiny on top.
- To get equal amounts of dough in each color, I recommend weighing them. Each piece should be approximately 8.4 oz.
- Don’t skip or shorten those refrigeration times! This dough needs that time to become firm enough to be workable.
- Once you’ve stacked your layers of colored dough, gently go over them with a rolling pin to make sure the layers stick together.
- To make sure you have a perfect swirl, trim the edges of your dough once they’re stacked and stuck together. A pizza cutter works well for this.
- The best tasting sugar cookies are the kind that are taken out just before they start to brown. You can tell they’re done when the tops are no longer shiny.
- Storage: These cookies will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Freezing: Alternatively, you can store these cookies in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply stack them in layers separated by wax paper and seal them in an airtight container.
Sugar cookie recipe adapted from Make Bake Celebrate
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 56mg
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8g
- Fiber: .1g
- Protein: .5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: halloween cookies, candy corn cookies, halloween dessert