Baked Blueberry Doughnuts

baked blueberry doughnuts with vanilla glaze

I don’t often buy myself new baking supplies and tools because 1. they can be hard to come by here in Norway and 2. they’re often pretty expensive. But while we were back in the US, I decided to gift myself a doughnut pan (among many other baking related things… in fact, I may have made up for an entire year of not purchasing that kind of stuff… maybe…). I had meant to give it a try while we were there, but between all of the other baking, traveling, visiting friends and family, I just never got around to it. However, this morning we woke up (very early, because we’re still jet-lagged) to a grey, somewhat cold day here in Norway. What a perfect day to crank up my oven and brighten the day with my first batch of homemade baked doughnuts!

Baked Blueberry Doughnuts

1/3 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
2 tbsp. blueberry jam

For the vanilla glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Start by preheating your oven to 350*F (175*C) and greasing your doughnut pan. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together your dry ingredients for the doughnuts (flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and nutmeg). In a separate bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (milk, egg, and vanilla extract). Whisk your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and lump-free. Gently fold in your blueberries and blueberry jam with a spatula. Pour the batter into your greased doughnut pan (fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full), and bake for 9-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the doughnuts comes out clean.

baked blueberry doughnuts

To make the glaze, whisk together all your glaze ingredients (the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract) in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth. You don’t have to heat the glaze, but it will give it a nice, crisp finish if you do. Gently dip your cooled doughnuts into the glaze, and set aside on a cooling rack to harden. Be sure to hold on both the inside and outside of the doughnut while you’re dipping and pulling it out, otherwise it may just break under the weight/pull of the glaze.

glazing doughnuts

These doughnuts are best if enjoyed the same day, but any leftovers (You have leftovers?! How do you have leftovers?!) can be stored in an airtight container for several days.

baked blueberry doughnuts

bake blueberry doughnut

Now wasn’t that easy! Baking doughnuts was certainly easier than I thought it was going to be (I don’t know why I thought they would be difficult but I did…) and they sat on my list of things to bake for quite a while. What’s on your list of things you’ve been dying to bake but haven’t had a chance to yet?

Happy baking!

Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction

Comments

1. says

Visiting from Totally Talented Tuesdays. I love blueberries in baked goods, these doughnuts look great. I co-host Sweet and Savoury Sunday and would love for you to stop by and share this and other recipes with us. Have a great day!

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

Aren’t blueberries the best? They’re totally my favorite. :) Thank you for the invitation. I will definitely stop by and check it out on Sunday. :)

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

Thank you for the sweet comment and for sharing this post! I’d like one too, but unfortunately I already ate them all so… I guess it’s cereal for me this morning. 😉

2. says

Ugh, I seriously need to get a doughnut pan! These look soooo yummy… I wonder if it would work in a muffin pan… Either way, they’re gorgeous and mouthwatering! :)
    ~April
    (visiting from Foodie Friday)

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

I think the recipe would generally work with a muffin pan as long as you adjusted for time. Honestly, baked doughnuts are very much like muffins in texture, so it probably wouldn’t be that far off. :)

3. says

These look amazing :) My oldest is a blueberry maniac so I know these would be a hit! Where did you find your donut pan? I’ve made donuts before, but I fried them and I would much rather bake them since it is so much healthier. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!
    -S.L. Payne, uncommongrace.net

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

Blueberries are pretty tasty so I can understand being a blueberry maniac. :) The pan, specifically, is from Sur La Table, but it’s a Wilton doughnut pan, so I’m sure you could find it other places as well. :)

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

I definitely think the doughnut pan was one of the best baking investments I’ve made in a while! 😀 We’re getting so much use out of that thing!

4. Britney says

A girl after my own heart! I love these kind of doughnuts and now I have the recipe and they are baked which makes me want to eat more :)

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

Aren’t blueberries the best?! :) And the baked ones are so yummy with a fraction of the guilt. 😉

5. Tanya says

Hi, this recipe looks delicious! I was just wondering when to add the melted butter? Maybe I just miss it. Thanks

• The Simple, Sweet Life says

The melted butter goes in with the wet ingredients. And I’ll double check and make sure that’s in the instructions. :)

Trackbacks