As some of you probably saw on my Instagram last week, I recently came into a big ol’ bag of pears. Homegrown, fresh-off-the-tree delicious pear goodness. And because I am who I am (a blogger, baker and all-around foodie at heart) I just knew this needed to turn into a sweet little somethin’-somethin’ for the blog.
I did a quick poll and overwhelmingly folks wanted pie. Good thing I am forever and always down for pie.
But because these weren’t any ol’ pears, I didn’t want to make just any ol’ pie. I wanted something special. Something decadent. Something that screamed “put me in a sweater and hand me a pumpkin spice latte because it’s FALL!”
Side note: I don’t recommend putting your pies in sweaters OR giving them pumpkin spice lattes. Who wants a pie hopped up on caffeine running around with non-existent legs in their favorite fall sweater?
So today we’re taking it to another level in dessert land. That’s right, we’ve reached dessert level: RIDICULOUS FALL DECADENCE. This pie not only has deliciously fresh pears, it’s overflowing with sweet honey caramel goodness all rolled up in a crisp, flaky pie crust. Bonus points if you serve it warm and topped with ice cream.
Honey Caramel Pear Pie
A simple pear pie sweetened with a rich honey caramel sauce. You’re just 1 hour away from this decadent end of summer dessert!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 oz butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4–5 large pears
- 2–3 pie crusts, store bought or homemade (3 if you want to do all the decoration)
- In a medium-sized pan, combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, whipping cream and vanilla extract. Cook the caramel sauce over medium-low heat until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 10-15 minutes). Be sure to stir it frequently. You can keep leftover sauce for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Core and thinly slice your pears. Stir together the sliced pears and flour. Add 1/2 cup (this will be about half of the batch) of the honey caramel and stir until the pears are thoroughly coated.
- Press one of your pie crusts into your pie pan and trim the edges so that they no longer hang over the edge of your pie pan. Fill with your pear and caramel mixture. You can simply cover the pie with another crust or do something fancier if you like.
- If you want to make the same sort of crust as I did, cut one of your pie crusts into 1/2″ strips and arrange in a lattice pattern (if you don’t know how to do that, here’s a great tutorial). Take the remaining crust and cut half of it into really thin strips and use a small leaf cookie cutter to punch out the remaining half of the dough. Arrange the strips and leaves around the edge of the pie using a little water to help them stick.
- Bake at 425F for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Although I recommend using half of the caramel in the pie, if you like a really strong caramel flavor, feel free to add more of the caramel mixture. Just be sure to adjust the flour accordingly.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 352
- Sugar: 22.2g
- Sodium: 232mg
- Fat: 18.3g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 45.8g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg