Good morning you glorious day of the week known as Saturday!
Saturday, you are, by far, the best day of the week. Friday? Meh. I’m more about sleeping in, kicking around in my PJs, and enjoying a nice, slow cup of coffee over a decadent breakfast.
Now that I’m back in the States, I’m rediscovering some of my favorite foods… Somethings I missed and somethings I didn’t even know I missed until they were back in my life. For me, Cinnamon Toast Crunch (yes, the cereal) falls squarely into the former of those categories, right next to Jamba Juice, Michaels, and Halloween (just kidding, we all know Halloween’s in a category of its own).
At the risk of sounding like a 7 year old at heart (which isn’t altogether untrue…), I really missed Cinnamon Toast Crunch during my 5 years abroad. Seriously, I’m a certified sucker for just about anything cinnamony and sugary.
Despite what my blog may lead you to believe, I really do try to eat healthy and responsibly (key word here being try). On any given morning I try to convince myself I’m a responsible adult who enjoys healthy, protein-loaded, low-fat smoothies and oat bars or whatever… but the child inside me really just wants a big ol’ bowl of milk with a side of sugar coma, I mean cereal.
Also, I missed doughnuts. Mmmmm, doughnuts…
And because I’m a “responsible” adult and, therefore, a multi-tasker supreme, I decided to have my Cinnamon Toast Crunch and eat my doughnuts too (that’s responsible adulting, right guys? Riiiiiiiiiight??). Also, these are baked doughnuts so technically healthier…
Multi-tasking + baked, not fried = healthy adult life choices. Yep, I’m going with that…Print
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Doughnuts
- Yield: 8 doughnuts 1x
- Category: Breakfast
For the doughnuts:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. (30 g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Crush Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C and grease your doughnut pan. In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and soda) until evenly mixed. In a small bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (butter, egg, milk, and vanilla extract). Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, and continue whisking until your batter is lump-free. Pour or pipe the doughnut batter into your greased doughnut pan and bake for 9-10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in your doughnuts comes out clean.
- Turn the baked doughnuts out onto a metal cooling rack once the pan is cool enough to handle.
- In a small saucepan, combine your powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract over low-medium heat, whisking occasionally until a skin starts to form (when you stir you’ll see the top start to crack). Dip your cooled doughnuts into the glaze (stirring before each dip) and garnish immediately with crushed pieces of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.