It’s gotten to that point in the year where my alarm wakes me before the sun has a chance to stream through my window. Where it’s just dark and dank and cold outside and my bed is just soooooooo cozy by comparison. So very… very… cozy… Where, as the week wears on, it gets harder and harder to get out of bed…
Monday’s one alarm quickly becomes Friday’s three alarms (because you KNOW you’re going to need it), and really, if we’re being honest, the only thing getting you out of bed is the coffee that you know is going to get sour if you don’t get up and take it off it’s burner. That and potentially being late for work…
And ain’t nobody got time for a three-snooze-button, sour-coffee kind of Friday morning…
Prio #1: Coffee.
Prio #2: Holy-Hell-I-think-I-just-ingested-an-internal-organ kind of hungry. Body! You just spent 8 hours (hahaha just kidding! 6 hours… 5?) laying around doing nothing! Why you so hungry?!
I’d like to say I’m an adult and I can power through my hunger, but sadly, being hungry pretty much impedes my ability to function like a normal human being whatsoever, and perform even the most minimal tasks of my morning routine. And unless I want to walk around with mismatched, perpetually-quizzical eyebrows, uneven eyeliner, and multiple flat iron burn marks because I just. can’t. adult. on an empty stomach, then easy, peasy, no-operating-hot-machinery sorts of breakfasts are a must for me. <– Anyone else relate to this feeling?
My brisk, sunny morning walks to work have put me in full-on-fall mode, and have turned my breakfast-filled thoughts to something with spice, fall fruit, and a little bit of crunch. Something I can munch from one hand while slirping much needed coffee from the other as I hurry down the sidewalk in that glorious, early morning sun.
Seriously guys, can we just take a moment to enjoy that sun? That early fall kind of sun that warms your face juuuuuust enough that you no longer mind the chill nipping at your cheeks and nose. Can we just stay like this? Forever and ever? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
So take a moment to slow things down this weekend. Enjoy that fall weather. Enjoy that lazy weekend morning. Get outside. Relax. Unwind. Wrap yourself in a blanket, sit on your patio, bask in the early morning sun, and enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a delicious apple muffin. THIS is the perfect fall morning.
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ stick (4tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temp.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Handful slivered almonds
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- In a small pan, combine all of the ingredients for the apple filling. Cook over low-medium heat until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter for the muffins until smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until smooth and lump free (make sure there are no large lumps, but don't worry if it looks a little grainy because of the sugar). One at a time, add the eggs, beating until just combined. Add the flour and cinnamon, and fold in using a spatula until a thick paste forms. Add the milk and vanilla extract, and stir gently with your spatula until just combined. Pour the batter into a muffin pan lined with 6 large muffin liners.
- Spoon the apple filling over the top of each muffin, and drizzle with slivered almonds. Bake at 350F/175C for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the muffins bake, combine all the streusel ingredients in a small bowl. Using a pastry/dough blender (or knife and fork) cut in the butter until combined but still chunky.
- Spoon the streusel over the muffins immediately after removing them from the oven.