Can we just take a moment and reflect on how AWESOME french toast is?
So very VERY awesome.
I mean, what’s not to love about a fluffy, sweet, fried, syrup-dripping breakfast/brunch dish? There’s just no going wrong with credentials like that.
I recently saw Claudia of The Brick Kitchen‘s recipe for coconut caramel french toast with grilled peaches, and although I wanted to email her and be all like “Take my money and send me the toast!” I had to settle for being inspired to make my own. Curses for being inspired in January when there’s no fresh produce in the Northern Hemisphere. But summer is FINALLY here, and I can finally get my little hands on the things I need to make this.
Bwahahaha! Finally, the TOAST IS MINE!! Too overly enthusiastic about french toast? Nah…
So we’re going full-flavored steam ahead with a coconut milk-based batter, tender pieces of grilled pineapple, fresh strawberries, toasted coconut chips, and an oh-so-sweet strawberry syrup. THIS is what lazy summer mornings are all about!
Well, this and my Mum’s amazing bread baking. If bread isn’t your favorite food, it’s probably because you haven’t had the stuff my Mum makes. I’m pretty sure it’s primary ingredients are magic and childhood memories. Although she bakes it year-round, I tend to visit my parents in the summer, so summer mornings just aren’t complete for me without the smell of my Mum’s fresh baked bread. Like the bread I used in this recipe. Yep, handmade by a little Scandinavian woman.
If you don’t have a someone that’ll just stay home and make bread for you, a brioche would work fine too.
And best of all, if you’re lactose intolerant, so is this french toast! The coconut milk adds a creamy, coconut-y flavor without the lactose. Just find yourself a lactose free bread and you’re all set! Yay and double yay for food-allergy friendly goodness!
- ½ lb fresh strawberries
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 thick slices of bread (Look for lactose free bread if you're going the lactose free route)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- Cinnamon (for sprinkling on top)
- ¼ of a pineapple, sliced and grilled
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup toasted coconut chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Slice up the ½ lb of strawberries for the strawberry syrup. Combine the strawberries, water, and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil until the strawberries begin to break a part (about 10 minutes). Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by about ½ (another 5-10 minutes). Using an immersion blender, blend the syrup until smooth.
- In a shallow baking dish or a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and eggs for the french toast. Dip each side of your thick pieces of bread into the egg mixture, sprinkle with cinnamon, and fry in a non-stick saucepan until golden brown.
- Garnish with pieces of grilled pineapple (if you don't want to lug out your grill, a grill pan works well for this), slices of strawberries, toasted coconut chips, and your strawberry syrup. Serve hot.