Well, that’s it folks! We have officially packed our bags, sent our (ridiculously expensive) packages, cleaned out our apartment, and moved Stateside. So long Norway, hell-O America!
And hello wider selection of stuff than I would ever possibly need. Seriously, I’ve missed you.
It seems only fitting to celebrate being back with my inner child’s favorite American flavor: Funfetti. Seriously, I don’t care how old I get, Funfetti will always be my food bestie and my favorite flavor. Also, sprinkles. Can you really ever have too many? No, no you cannot.
And we’re not just talking Funfetti for dessert. Oh no, special occasions call for special accommodations. Nope, we’re going all the way, no holds barred, Funfetti for BREAKFAST. Because we can.
Sweet little almond flavored brioche rolls filled with custardy-goodness and topped with Funfetti icing and sprinkles. SO. MANY. SPRINKLES.
More sprinkles than your brain can handle!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar + 1 tsp.
- 2 tsp. dry active yeast
- 2 large eggs + 1 for egg wash
- ¼ cup milk, warm
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup (113g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 2 tbsp. water
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat with the vanilla bean seeds until almost boiling. In a bowl, whisk together the corn starch, granulated sugar, and egg yolks for the filling. Pour the hot cream into the bowl and whisk together thoroughly before returning the entire mixture to the saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally until the mixture becomes thick (about 5-8 minutes). Remove the filling from the heat, transfer to a bowl, and allow to set in the refrigerator until it's thoroughly chilled and has a pudding-like consistency.
- In a small bowl (or glass), stir together the yeast, warm milk, and 1 tsp. of granulated sugar and allow to proof until a foam forms on top (about 5 minutes). In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook, beat together the flour, granulated sugar, yeast mixture, almond extract, and 2 eggs until firm and elastic (about 4 minutes). Add the butter and continue mixing until the dough is soft, smooth, and shiny (about 4 more minutes). Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until almost double in size (about an hour).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for 1-2 minutes. Return the dough to the bowl and allow to rise until double in size again (about another hour).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a ½" thick square. Spread a thin layer of vanilla custard filling (a little goes a long way) and add some sprinkles. Cut into 6 strips, roll up, and place them into a lightly greased cupcake pan. Cover and allow to rise for about 30-45 minutes, or until almost double in size again.
- Brush the rolls with a lightly beaten egg and bake at 375F/190C for 15-20 minutes.