Oh glorious Spring! You’ve… kind of… arrived…
This week we’ve had the most amazing sunny days, and it seems like we maaaaaay soon creep out of the single (Celsius) digits. Not only that, but the days are getting noticeably longer! No more sun rising at 11am and setting at 3pm. I can now go to work AND come home during daylight hours! What IS this sorcery?
I almost (BIG emphasis on almost) enjoy getting out of bed in the morning with this sort of weather. My nice, warm, most comfortable bed in the whole wide world…. Nah, who am I kidding. I’m still not a morning person. But. BUUUUT. Having this sunny weather makes it marginally bearable.
Speaking of marginally bearable… breakfast. The best meal of the day I hate to make. I’m more of a breakfast for dinner type of gal… You know, enjoy making (and eating) the meal while I’m conscious and have the brain capacity to do so…
I’m not saying I wouldn’t take free pancakes or bacon if someone was offering to come over and make it first thing in the morning, I just don’t want to be the person making it.
Groggy breakfast making is how you end up with bacon grease burns on your stomach…
My PSA for the day: don’t breakfast while sleepy. <– words of wisdom, right there
Bake the night before and have a delicious, fresh breakfast at a reduced risk of burns! And also potentially in bed. New life goal: train the cat to deliver muffins in bed. Right after I train him to come, stay off the counters, and just generally listen to what I say…
But cats aside my dear internet, these muffins are the perfect little piece of Spring! Tart lemon, juicy raspberries, and a touch of sweet vanilla bean glaze all rolled into a moist, crumbly little muffin.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ⅓-1/4 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2½ tbsp. milk
- ½ vanilla bean
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the eggs and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. Gently fold in the rest of the ingredients (except for the raspberries) until just combined and lump free. Pour the batter into a lined cupcake pan and spoon about one teaspoon of gently mashed fresh berries or frozen berries over the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 425F/205C for 3-5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350F/175C and continue baking for another 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients for the vanilla bean glaze over medium heat. Whisking occasionally, heat the glaze until it begins to form a crust on the top. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins and sprinkle with a little pearl sugar for some extra crunch and sweetness.